Re: docs build check - necessary for Jewel?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:59 AM, Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, is the "docs build check" on GitHub necessary for jewel? If not, can it
> be disabled for jewel?

Anything before the recent changes to master (and now Luminous)
shouldn't create false positives, and can still
allow errors and warnings like before.

This is because the sphinx command used is in ceph.git itself, so just
in master and luminous is the flag needed
to fail hard a build that has errors or warnings.

> Given the instability of the checks themselves (false negatives are quite
> common), this new docs check - in addition to guarding against doc
> regressions - also serves to make it even more difficult to get a green
> check mark on a PR.

I am not seeing that many failures in the job history though:
https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-pr-docs/

We've recently found out that some nodes where getting killed just
when a job was starting and that got deployed
yesterday. Were you seeing some of those? Or some other specific type
of failures?

False negatives is a thing we certainly need to work on, and will not
affect only Jewel but pretty much everything else. Like I mentioned,
even in Jewel the amount of false negatives should be even less since
valid failures are ignored.

There is currently no way to black list a target branch, although
there is a way to whitelist (which would mean extra effort to keep up
with).

This is fairly new, and it did take a few days to stabilize. Sorry if
it caused some issues!