Re: increasingly large packages and longer build times

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:01 AM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> my main concern would be the downstream. how shall we accommodate the
> packaging of downstream? for example, what if the boost package
> maintainers of SuSE/fedora/debian/ubuntu are not ready to package the
> boost version we want to use in future?

Fedora has Boost 1.63.0 for a while, and f27 and f28 will have 1.64 or
newer. I think we'll be ok there, because Jonathan Wakely tends to
keep that very up-to-date.

This is just brainstorming, I have nothing concrete here: For the
CentOS side, and for the RH Ceph Storage downstream layered product, I
am thinking about building an entirely separate boost RPM and just let
it override the system version that ships in RHEL 7. I've tested
rebuilding boost-1.64.0-0.8.fc28.src.rpm on RHEL in mock and it
worked. (I had to remove the fiber, numpy, and python3 pieces).

For Debian and older Ubuntu LTSs, we could do something similar:
rebuild the boost source package from unstable/artful and let those
override the OS versions.

> actually almost all ceph_test_* are linking against libceph-common.
> but they are linking against libglobal and libos statically.

Is that the root issue with the debuginfo size?

- Ken