Re: increasingly large packages and longer build times

my main concern would be the downstream. how shall we accommodate the
packaging of downstream? for example, what if the boost package
maintainers of SuSE/fedora/debian/ubuntu are not ready to package the
boost version we want to use in future?

but as long as we don't require newer boost to build, we are safe on
debian and ubuntu at this moment. as boost 1.61 is required for
building ceph, and both debian unstable and ubuntu artful package
boost v1.62.

The very latest cutting-edge versions of the distros may ship boost >= 1.61 but the stable versions most likely do not.

For luminous we (SUSE) need to support the latest stable versions of openSUSE and SLE, i.e. Leap 42.3 and SLE-12-SP3. Both of these come with boost 1.54.

Nathan