Re: recommended rocksdb/rockswal sizes when using SSD/HDD

On 08/02/2017 04:32 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, McFarland, Bruce wrote:
I’m using SDD for the rocksdb/rockswal partitions and putting the data
on HDD’s. What is the recommended sizing for these partitions. I’ve read
various sizes discussed on the perf call and know that the code defaults
of 128MB for rocksdb is small and limits performance. What are the
recommended sizes for these partitions?

tl;dr: 1GB for block.wal.  For block.db, as much as you have.

For an RBD-only pool, my guess is you want around 1-2% of your total
storage, but I'm guessing... we need to deploy a real-ish RBD workload and
see what the ratio is in practice.  Mark can probably give us a worst-case
value (after a long-running 4kb random-write workload).

Omap data will go to block.db (if it will fit), so for RGW clusters there
may be more.  OTOH, the object metadata will be smaller (immutable
objects, sequentially written), so it depends on how big your RGW objects
are.  We have no real-world data on this yet.

While this wasn't 4k writes to 4MB rbd blocks, I noticed that with 4kb rados bench objects I was able to fill up an 8GB DB partition and start to see write slowdowns (without bloom filters in place) associated with HDD disk reads from rocksdb after about 670K objects (target was 2M objects). When increased to 98GB, I was able to write out the 2M objects without slowdown. That would indicate that in that test at least, the final amount of DB space being used for each 4K object after counting for our own overhead and rocksdb's space amp (We are heavily tuning to favor write amp!) could be as high as 12.5KB (there's other stuff in the DB besides object metadata, so it's probably lower than this in reality).

I don't think rocksdb's space amplification is necessarily going to be a constant factor either (even assuming a similar ratio of key prefixes/etc). With LSM a key may with older versions potentially can be in multiple files and fragmentation is also going to affect SA. We also are leaking at least some WAL data into the DB (though a much lower amount with our current settings than I was originally worried about).

The good news is that bloom filters help pretty dramatically when metadata roles over to HDD. I think maybe the general message should be that the bigger the flash db partition the better, but it's still worth investing in power-loss-protection and write durability when using the SSD as a WAL (And DB).

Mark

sage