Performance testing to tune osd recovery sleep

Hi all,

The osd recovery sleep option has been re-implemented to make it
asynchronous. This value determines the sleep time in seconds before
the next recovery or backfill op.

We have done rigorous testing on HDDs, SSDs and HDD+SSD setups, with
both Filestore and Bluestore, in order to come up with better default
values for this configuration option. Detailed performance results can
be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7I5sSnjMhmbN1ZOanF3T2JIZm8/view?usp=sharing

Following are some of our conclusions:

- We need separate default values of osd_recovery_sleep for HDDs, SSDs
and hybrid(HDD+SSD) setups.

- In setups with only HDDs, increasing the amount of sleep time, shows
performance improvement. However, the total time taken by background
recovery operation also increases. We found that recovery sleep value
of 0.1 sec is optimal for these kind of setups.

- In setups with only SSDs, with increase in sleep value, we do not
see any drastic improvement in performance. Therefore, we have decided
to keep the sleep value 0, and not pay any extra price in terms of
increased recovery time.

- In hybrid setups, where osd data is on HDDs and osd journal is on
SSDs, increasing the sleep value more than 0 helps, but we would like
to choose a default value lesser than 0.1 sec in order to not increase
the recovery time too much. We haven't finalized this value yet.
Introducing this configuration option would require some more work, in
terms of determining whether the journal is on HDD or SSD.

With https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/16328, we are introducing two
new configuration options osd_recovery_sleep_hdd and
osd_recovery_sleep_ssd.

Please let me know if you any thoughts about it or have trouble
accessing the link.

Thanks,
Neha