Re: upgrade procedure to Luminous

On 2017-07-14T14:12:08, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Any thoughts on how to mitigate this, or on whether I got this all wrong and
> > am missing a crucial detail that blows this wall of text away, please let me
> > know.
> I don't know; the requirement that mons be upgraded before OSDs doesn't
> seem that unreasonable to me.  That might be slightly more painful in a
> hyperconverged scenario (osds and mons on the same host), but it should
> just require some admin TLC (restart mon daemons instead of
> rebooting).

I think it's quite unreasonable, to be quite honest. Collocated MONs
with OSDs is very typical for smaller cluster environments.

> Is there something in some distros that *requires* a reboot in order to
> upgrade packages?

Not necessarily.

*But* once we've upgraded the packages, a failure or reboot might
trigger this.

And customers don't always upgrade all nodes at once in a short period
(the benefit of a supposed rolling upgrade cycle), increasing the risk.

I wish we'd already be fully containerized so indeed the MONs were truly
independent of everything else going on on the cluster, but ...

> Also, this only seems like it will affect users that are getting their
> ceph packages from the distro itself and not from a ceph.com channel or a
> special subscription/product channel (this is how the RHEL stuff works, I
> think).

Even there, upgrading only the MON daemons and not the OSDs is tricky?