updating the documentation

We have a fair-sized list of documentation items to update for the
luminous release.  The other day when I starting looking through what is
there now, though, I was also immediately struck by how out of date much
of the content is.  In addition to addressing the immediate updates for
luminous, I think we also need a systematic review of the current docs
(including the information structure) and a coordinated effort to make
updates and revisions.

First question is, of course: is anyone is interested in helping
coordinate this effort?

In the meantime, we can also avoid making the problem worse by requiring
that all pull requests include any relevant documentation updates.  This
means (1) helping educate contributors that doc updates are needed, (2)
helping maintainers and reviewers remember that doc updates are part of
the merge criteria (it will likely take a bit of time before this is
second nature), and (3) generally inducing developers to become aware of
the documentation that exists so that they know what needs to be updated
when they make a change.

Comments or concerns?

Thanks!
sage