Re: [ceph-users] dropping filestore+btrfs testing for luminous

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 16:29:43 +0000 David Turner wrote:

> I actually don't see either of these as issues with just flat out saying
> that Btrfs will not be supported in Luminous.  It's a full new release and
> it sounds like it is no longer a relevant Filestore backend in Luminous.
> People can either plan to migrate their OSDs to Bluestore once they reach
> Luminous or just not upgrade to Luminous.  Upgrading is optional and not
> mandatory.

You tell that to the people in charge when there's a critical bug in a
version that's no longer maintained.
At the release cycle speed of Ceph this tends to be an option only for
those of us who are happy to freeze a cluster at a certain version until
it dies of natural causes.

That being said, anybody who deployed BTRFS within the last 1-2 years
should have seen the writing on the wall, but the ability of reading
between the lines is not an excuse for a "proper deprecation" indeed.
And at this time that probably should be extended formally to ZFS.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Rakuten Communications