Help build a drive reliability service!

Hey cephers,

Just wanted to share the genesis of a new community project that could
use a few helping hands (and any amount of feedback/discussion that
you might like to offer).

As a bit of backstory, around 2013 the Backblaze folks started
publishing statistics about hard drive reliability from within their
data center for the world to consume. This included things like model,
make, failure state, and SMART data. If you would like to view the
Backblaze data set, you can find it at:

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

While most major cloud providers are doing this for themselves
internally, we would like to replicate/enhance this effort across a
much wider segment of the population as a free service.  I think we
have a pretty good handle on the server/platform side of things, and a
couple of people who have expressed interest in building the
reliability model (although we could always use more!), what we really
need is a passionate volunteer who would like to come forward to write
the agent that sits on the drives, aggregates data, and submits daily
stats reports via an API (and potentially receives information back as
results are calculated about MTTF or potential to fail in the next
24-48 hrs).

Currently my thinking is to build our collection method based on the
Backblaze data set so that we can use it to train our model and build
from going forward. If this sounds like a project you would like to be
involved in (especially if you're from Backblaze!) please let me know.
I think a first pass of the agent should be something we can build in
a couple of afternoons to start testing with a small pilot group that
we already have available.

Happy to entertain any thoughts or feedback that people might have. Thanks!

--

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director Ceph Community || Red Hat