Re: What should we do if ceph feature bit is all used?

On Thu, 18 May 2017, Ning Yao wrote:
> Hi, Sage and all Cepher
>
> I find that CEPH_FEATURE bit uses uint64_t and only 64 bits can be
> used totally. However, it will be exhausted soon.  What should we do
> then? Thanks

We are recycling feature bits.  If you look at ceph_features.h in master,
there are macros that make it explicit when a feature is deprecated and
when it can be resused.  Once luminous is out we'll have another 10+ bits
available.

Right now the only ones we can't reuse are the ones that affect client
behavior; those we have to be more careful deprecating in order to
preserve support for old clients.

sage