Re: [GSOC] ceph-mgr: Cluster Status Dashboard

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 1:35 PM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 6:06 AM, saumay agrawal
> <saumay.agrawal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Kefu,
>>
>> I apologize for the late reply.
>>
>> I have been looking into the PR you mentioned earlier
>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/14946 . I have also explored the
>> Calamari Dashboard in the past few days. I have some queries.
>>
>> I guess since Calamari Dashboard already does the job of visualizing
>> the statistics of a Ceph cluster (health, OSDs, MONs, pools, IOPS,
>> space utilization etc), we would primarily be improving on its UI/UX,
>> that is to say the visualization portion and some other
>> functionalities. Please do correct me if I am wrong in this.
>>
>> Moreover, Calamari Dashboard is made up of Calamari Server (backend)
>> and Calamari Clients (frontend).
>>
>> I found out that Calamari Server uses a new REST API instead of being
>> based upon the CEPH REST API. Will I be working on improving this new
>> REST API?
>>
>> Moreover, Calamari Server is written in Django and
>> django-rest-framework. However in the prototype of the dashboard
>> mentioned in the PR above, I could find that the dashboard is using
>> CherryPy too. CherryPy is a minimalist framework which is good for
>> prototyping and makes it very easy. Meanwhile Django is more of a
>> complete web application stack. So will we be using a single
>> technology primarily, or a combination of both?
>
> Welcome!

Thanks, John. :)

> Don't worry about any of the Django or REST stuff.  Django is being
> dropped from everything because the maintainers of downstream
> (distribution) packages are highly opposed to supporting it as a
> dependency.  The REST part is not needed when the dashboard is built
> as a mgr module, because as a mgr module is has direct access to the
> Ceph state.

As you say. Can you point out any other areas of Ceph that I should
explore thoroughly for this project? Also, I would be glad if you
could share any kind of technologies that I need to be familiar with
(other than HTML, CSS, JS etc). For example, I'm looking into CherryPy
these days. It will help me to pick up things more easily if I know
the tech you are planning to use for the dashboard.