Re: fs: mandatory client quota

On 05/10/17 09:03, John Spray wrote:
> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This seems reasonable to me.  Client can of course run modified code so
>>> it's not really "secure" in that sense but it's certainly inconvenient to
>>> circumvent.
>> I'm sure John will comment on this once he gets back from vacation, but
>> there were some reasons not to enable it by default when this was discussed
>> by the team last fall. I think it was combined concern about the lack of
>> server-side enforcement and (more importantly) not wanting to provide
>> default experiences which differ across the userspace and kernel clients.
> client_quota has been true by default in master for about a year -- I
> think at this stage the question is just whether it's important to
> enable people to disable them, where disabling is really only sensible
> in cases where someone e.g. hits a quota bug and wants to skip the
> code.
>
> My view is that the simplicity of support (not worrying about users
> disabling quota and then complaining about it not working) is a good
> enough motivator to remove the setting.  Making it less convenient for
> naughty clients to circumvent quota is a bonus.
>
> Commenting on PR....
>
> John

I don't think it was mentioned yet...but isn't a pool quota mandatory?
If so, you could use that for those naughty clients.

I'm using cephfs with a pool quota and found the client just hangs
waiting for space if the pool quota is hit, and ceph -s gets a warning.
That's less than desirable, but if combined with the client quota, it
ought to be friendly.