Re: Proposal for a CRUSH collision fallback

On 05/08/2017 05:09 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Sun, 7 May 2017, Loic Dachary wrote:
>> Hi Sage,
>>
>> When choosing the second replica, crush_bucket_choose picks an item and
>> crush_choose_{indep,firstn} checks if it has already been chosen for the
>> first replica. If so, it is discarded as a collision[1], r is modified
>> and another attempt is made to get a different item. If no value is
>> found after choose_tries attempt, the mapping is incomplete.
>>
>> Another way to do the same would be that crush_bucket_choose /
>> bucket_straw2_choose[2] ignores the items that have already been chosen.
>> It could be done by looping over the list but that would mean N (number
>> of replicas) lookups for each item.
>>
>> The current implementation is optimized for the cases where collisions
>> are rare. However, when the weights of the items are two order of
>> magnitude appart or more, choose_tries has to be set to a very large
>> value (more than 1000) for the mapping to succeed. In practice that is
>> not a problem as it is unlikely that a host is 100 times bigger than
>> another host ;-)
>>
>> When fixing an uneven distribution[3], CRUSH weights are sometime set to
>> values with that kind of difference (1 against 100) to compensate for
>> the probability bias and/or a small number of samples. For instance when
>> there are 5 hosts with weights 5 1 1 1 1, modifying the weight set
>> fails. It goes as far as 8.9, 0.01, 0.01, 0.01, 0.01 with choose_tries
>> 2000. The value of choose_tries has to be increased a lot for a gain
>> that is smaller and smaller and the CPU usage goes up. In this
>> situation, an alternative implementation of the CRUSH collision seems a
>> good idea.
>>
>> Instead of failing after choose_tries attempts, crush_bucket_choose
>> could be called with the list of already chosen items and loop over them
>> to ensure none of them are candidate. The result will always be correct
>> but the implementation more expensive. The default choose_tries could
>> even be set to a lower value (19 instead of 50 ?) since it is likely
>> more expensive to handle 30 more collisions rather than looping over
>> each item already selected.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> I think this direction is promising!  The problem is that I think it's not
> quite as simple as you suggest, since you may be choosing over multiple
> levels of a hierarchy.  If the weight tree is something like
>
>       4
>     /   \
>    2     2
>   / \   / \
>  1   1 1   1
>  a   b c   d
>
> and you chose a, then yes, if you get back into the left branch you can
> filter it out of the straw2 selections.  And num_rep is usually small so
> that won't be expensive.  But you also need the first choice at the top
> level of the hierarchy to weight the left *tree* with 1 instead of 2.

I don't understand why this is necessary ? Here are the scenarios I have in mind:

        /         \
       /           \
  r1  4        r2   4         rack (failure domain)
    /   \         /   \
   2     2       2     2      host
  / \   / \     / \   / \
 1   1 1   1   1   1 1   1    device
 a   b c   d   e   f g   h

Say value 10 ends up in a the first time, it first went through rack
r1 which is the failure domain. If value 10 also ends up in r1 the
second time, straw2 will skip/collide it at that level because r1 is
stored in out while a is stored in out2.

There only case I can think of that requires collision to be resolved
in a higher hierarchical level is when there is no alternative.

        /         \
       /           \
  r1  4        r2   4         rack
    /             /   \
h1 2             2     2      host     (failure domain)
 1             1   1 1   1    device
 a             e   f g   h

If 10 ends up in h1 the first time and the second time, it will
collide because there is no alternative. It will then retry_descent,
ftotal increases which goes into r and it gets another chance at landing on a host
that's not h1.

I must be missing a use case :-)

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre