Re: revisiting uneven CRUSH distributions

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Loic Dachary <loic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greg raised the following problem today: what if, as a consequence of changing the weights, the failure of a host/rack (whatever the failure domain is) makes the cluster full ? For instance if you have racks 1, 2, 3 with "effective" weights .8, 1.1, 1 and you lose half of rack 3 then rack 2 is going to get a lot more of the data than rack 1 is.

Is this really a problem? In your example, the rack weights are
tweaked to correct the "rate" at which CRUSH is assigning PGs to each
rack. If you fail half of rack 3, then your effective weights will
continue to ensure that the moved PGs get equally assigned to racks 1
and 2.

On the other hand, one problem I see with your new approach is that it
does not address the secondary multi-pick problem, which is that the
ratio of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc... replicas/stripes is not equal for the
lower weighted OSDs.

-- Dan