Re: [ceph-users] Extremely high OSD memory utilization on Kraken 11.2.0 (with XFS -or- bluestore)

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Our cluster is experiencing a very odd issue and I'm hoping for some
> guidance on troubleshooting steps and/or suggestions to mitigate the issue.
> tl;dr: Individual ceph-osd processes try to allocate > 90GiB of RAM and are
> eventually nuked by oom_killer.

My guess is that there there is a bug in a decoding path and it's
trying to allocate some huge amount of memory.  Can you try setting a
memory ulimit to something like 40gb and then enabling core dumps so you
can get a core?  Something like

ulimit -c unlimited
ulimit -m 20000000

or whatever the corresponding systemd unit file options are...

Once we have a core file it will hopefully be clear who is
doing the bad allocation...

sage