Re: Measuring lock conention

Ah, nice to see poor man's getting a mention, a favoured weapon of mine.

Another possibility is systemtap. The following examples can be
modified to give additional information (stack traces, etc.).

https://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/keyword-index.html#FUTEX

I can probably help with a systemtap approach, at least getting up and
running and probably with the probes.

My favourite sites for perf are:

https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.brendangregg.com/perf.html

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 6:54 AM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/13/2017 03:38 PM, Milosz Tanski wrote:

>>> Very neat, thank you for this. Please let me know what happens, I'm
>>> interested to see which tool ends up working best for this use case.
>>> Also,
>>> could you share some information about what you're trying to find out?
>>>
>>> If I'm not mistaken, there's work being done to add the call stack of a
>>> process within the context of LTTng events. That way we could have this
>>> information when a process blocks in sys_futex.
>>>
>>> PS: found it, it's still in RFC -
>>> https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2017-March/026985.html
>>>

>> You can also use perf's syscall tracepoints to capture the
>> syscalls:sys_enter_futex event. This way you get contended mutex. The
>> nice thing about it is all the normal perf tools apply, so you can see
>> source annotation, frequency (hot points) and also examine the
>> callgraph of the hot points.
>>

> Hi Milosz,
>
> Do you know of any examples showing this technique?  I've suspected there
> was a way to do this (and similar things) with perf, but always ran into
> roadblocks that made it not work.  Potentially one of those roadblocks might
> have been errors on my part. ;)
>
> Mark
>
> --

Cheers,