Re: OpenStack Swift functional tests on RGW

On 03/28/2017 09:51 AM, Rajath Shashidhara wrote:
Hi,

I am getting started with contributing to Ceph. I sent my first pull
request a couple of weeks ago - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13908
. In testing the feature, I realized that the ceph/swift repository is
outdated. I tweaked some relevant functional tests on the
openstack/swift repository to run on RadosGW.

I was thinking that may be I can port all the functional tests from
openstack/swift to work on RGW. This way we can test how well RGW
complies with the Swift REST API. I'd like to know if that would be a
useful contribution to ceph. Also, since ceph/stack has diverged from
openstack/swift (20 commits ahead and 4919 commits behind upstream -
openstack/swift as of today), what approach should I take to push these
tests ?

Thanks,

Rajath Shashidhara

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for looking into this - I think it would be extremely valuable to bring our swift tests up to date. Looking at our fork, it appears that most of our changes fall into two categories: updating dependencies/bootstrapping, and adding 'fails_on_rgw' tags to tests that we know won't pass.

I'm hoping that the latest openstack/swift repo has the correct dependencies, so we may not need to carry all of those patches forward.

Rebasing the commits that add our tags sounds tedious, but should be pretty straightforward. For new upstream tests that don't pass against rgw, maybe add a separate tag like 'new_fails_on_rgw' so that we can go through and evaluate each of those once you finish.

Thanks,
Casey