Re: [Ceph-community] RBD vs. librbd exclusive lock

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Lyu Jesse <jesse.js.lyu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> FYI.

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I tested the RBD exclusive lock and found that the exclusive lock could be
>> acquired by the lasted new client using the nbd+librbd way.
>>
>> my question is that:
>> 1. is there any difference between rbd lock add/remove CMDs and librbd
>> exclusive lock

The rbd CLI lock add/remove commands are advisory locks. Unless you
have additional tooling around the use of them, nothing would prevent
multiple clients from sending concurrent IO to the image.

>> 2.using the nbd+librbd,is the newest client has the highest priority to
>> grab the exclusive lock

The clients will cooperatively exchange the exclusive lock if required
if write IOs are issued. There is an optional "--exclusive" flag that
will disable this coordinated lock exchange and will result in one
client owning the lock until it quits.

>> 3. In my test case by using the nbd+librbd,after losing the exclusive lock
>> ,the old client can still write to the rbd

I suspect you are seeing the coordinated lock exchange. Any reason why
you have the image double-mapped?

>> we are using the nbd+librbd and mount the rbd image as ext4 filesystem.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> Jesse Lyu

Jason