Re: Outreachy Project - Ceph-mgr

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Seraphina Nix wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Seraphina Nix. I am interested in submitting a proposal for
> the "ceph-mgr: slow osd identification, automated cluster response"
> project.
>
> I am a Computer Science and Math major at Oberlin College. I have
> worked previous summers at Berkeley-Lawrence National Laboratory
> interfacing with instruments in LabVIEW and monitoring data
> collection, and at Denison University automating the calibration of a
> wavemeter using Python.
>
> I do not have previous experience with Ceph, but I look forward to
> exploring the code base and making small contributions in the coming
> days. I look forward to learning more about the project I wish to work
> on. If there is more information about it or tasks I can work on now
> that are related to it, I would appreciate someone letting me know.

Hi Seraphina!

Delighted to hear you're interested in this project--we'd love to finally
build in this functionality (it's a common request from users).  This will
be one of the first python plugins in the new ceph-mgr daemon, so there
will likely be some related work with the plugin interface and the
corresponding C++ code.  You can find what's there now (not much!) at

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/src/pybind/mgr

For a larger example (not yet merged) that adds a full-blown GUI written
in python see

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13725

The implementation logistics aside, the crux of this project will
be figuring out a statistical model to identify performance outliers and
define a reasonable automated response... ideally one that will avoid
false positives and overcorrections.

sage