Re: Document about ceph object class APIs

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Wang, Zhiye wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Where can I find document about how to extend ceph?
>
> The only doc I can see is here:
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/#extending-ceph
>
> And some examples in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/src/cls
>
> Where can I get document for those APIs? And are those APIs kept stable
> from release to release?

The example classes are the best documentation currently.  The APIs are
quite stable, although in principle they could change.  The class plugins
need to be compiled against a specific build of ceph anyway, so you would
discover any future change at build time.  The storage calls (reads and
writes) roughly correspond to the RADOS operations defined in
include/rados.h (they map to the operations interpreted by do_osd_ops() in
PrimaryLogPG.cc), and those rados operations maintain compatibility across
many Ceph releases as they are normally originating from clients
connecting to the system that could be running other versions.

Hope that helps!
sage