Re: blacklisting etc

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 10:57 +0000, John Spray wrote:
> I meant to mention yesterday, I have a branch with the
> mds-obeys-blacklist behaviour here:
> https://github.com/jcsp/ceph/tree/wip-17980

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> For the other side (blacklisting clients from the MDS), I also
> remembered that we currently we have a precedent for special-casing an
> mds->OSDMonitor operation, in the form of the MRemoveSnaps message.
>
> I think the options we currently have for blacklisting clients from the MDS are:
>  A) Add a new MBlacklist message a la MRemoveSnaps
>  B) Send a MMonCommand and special case the auth on the mon side to
> allow any mds.* entity to run "osd blacklist add" without needing the
> usual caps
>  C) Send a MMonCommand and ask users/scripts setting up Ceph to
> explicitly include the mon cap to run the blacklist command.
>  D) Piggy-back a list of clients to evict on MMDSBeacon, where the MDS
> daemon would trim that list once it saw that the blacklist had been
> updated to include those clients.
>
> D is a bit circuitous, but I think it could be interesting as it would
> let the mon exercise some discretion on whether to do the client
> blacklisting or not, rather than giving the MDSs such power.

Ugh...I had started working on an approach similar to B/C above, but
missed the fact that the mds.* user would need the mon cap. That is a
potential problem.

A sounds fairly straightforward, and since all of this would require an
updated MDS and monitor anyway, it might be the best approach.

D sounds clever, but "fiddly". Under what circumstances would you want
the monitor to ignore a request from an MDS to blacklist a client?
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>