Re: Permuting only some things with teuthology-suite --subset

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, John Spray wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Yuri Weinstein <yweinste@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I can't say I understand details on what you want to achieve, but I'd
> > try combination of "--subset" and "--filter"
> >
> > I think/hope "--filter" would work on whatever you get out of "--subset" filter.
>
> Ah, the key thing is that I don't want to just run a filtered part of
> the sample, I want to control which aspects of the test are sampled,
> vs which are all run.  I am also having trouble putting together the
> right words to explain this :-)
>
> So if I've got a suite that looks something like this:
>
> mysuite/rados_pool/ec.yaml
> mysuite/rados_pool/replicated.yaml
> mysuite/rados_store/bluestore.yaml
> mysuite/rados_store/xfs.yaml
> mysuite/cephfs_inline/yes.yaml
> mysuite/cephfs_inline/no.yaml
> mysuite/tasks/myworkunit.yaml
>
> Then I want to always include all permutations of cephfs_inline, while
> only including a subset of the permutations of rados_pool and
> rados_store.  There are 4 permutations of the rados_* bits, so I'd be
> passing something like --subset=1/4, but for it to work the way I want
> I need a way to tell teuthology-suite to only do the subset part on
> the rados bits, and leave the cephfs bits alone.

+1

This would be super useful, IMO!

My main question is whether it's something we might want to encode into
the suite itself, so that certain permutations sample before others do.
I'm not quite sure how to put it... maybe it's simplest to say that some
permutations would *always* sample.  There are lots of cases where I want
to mix in additional variables but I don't expect them to corelate
with anything else, but end up blowing up the test count anyway.

sage