Re: [ceph-users] would people mind a slow osd restart during luminous upgrade?

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, David Turner wrote:
> The only issue I can think of is if there isn't a version of the clients
> fully tested to work with a partially upgraded cluster or a documented
> incompatibility requiring downtime. We've had upgrades where we had to
> upgrade clients first and others that we had to do the clients last due to
> issues with how the clients interacted with an older cluster, partially
> upgraded cluster, or newer cluster.

We maintain client compatibiltity across *many* releases and several
years.  In general this under the control of the administrator via their
choice of CRUSH tunables, which effectively let you choose the oldest
client you'd like to support.

I'm curious which upgrade you had problems with?  Generally speaking the
only "client" upgrade ordering issue is with the radosgw clients, which
need to be upgraded after the OSDs.

> If the FileStore is changing this much, I can imagine a Jewel client having
> a hard time locating the objects it needs from a Luminous cluster.

In this case the change would be internal to a single OSD and have no
effect on the client/osd interaction or placement of objects.

sage