Re: [ceph-users] would people mind a slow osd restart during luminous upgrade?

On 17-02-09 05:09, Sage Weil wrote:
Hello, ceph operators...

Several times in the past we've had to do some ondisk format conversion
during upgrade which mean that the first time the ceph-osd daemon started
after upgrade it had to spend a few minutes fixing up it's ondisk files.
We haven't had to recently, though, and generally try to avoid such
things.

However, there's a change we'd like to make in FileStore for luminous (*)
and it would save us a lot of time and complexity if it was a one-shot
update during the upgrade.  I would probably take in the neighborhood of
1-5 minutes for a 4-6TB HDD.  That means that when restarting the daemon
during the upgrade the OSD would stay down for that period (vs the usual
<1 restart time).

Does this concern anyone?  It probably means the upgrades will take longer
if you're going host by host since the time per host will go up.
In my opinion if this is clearly communicated (release notes + OSD logs) it's fine otherwise it may feel that something is wrong if OSD will take long time to start.

sage

* eliminate 'snapdir' objects, replacing them with a head object +
whiteout.