Re: noout equivalent for temporary OSD rm?

> Op 8 februari 2017 om 15:23 schreef Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, John Spray wrote:
> > So I've just finished upgrading my home cluster OSDs to bluestore by
> > killing them one by one and then letting backfill happen to "new" OSDs
> > on the same drives.  Hooray!
> >
> > One slightly awkward thing I ran into was that even though I had noout
> > set throughout, during the period between removing the old OSD and
> > adding the "new" one, some PGs would of course get remapped (and start
> > generating backfill IO to third party OSDs).  This does make sense
> > when you think about it (noout doesn't make the cluster magically
> > remember OSDs that have been removed), but is still an undesirable
> > behaviour.
> >
> > A) Do we currently have a mechanism to tell the cluster "even though I
> > removed this OSD, don't go moving PGs around just yet"?  Should we add
> > one?
>
> There's 'ceph osd set norebalance'...
>
> > B) Was there a way for me to avoid this by e.g. skipping the "osd rm
> > X" and "osd crush rm osd.X" that I'm currently doing before adding the
> > new OSD that will take the old OSD's ID?
>
> This keeps coming up but I don't think we've ever proposed a good
> solution.  Perhaps the simplest thing is to allow ceph-disk to take an OSD
> id as an argument.  Normally this is probably a no-no since the OSD might
> exist elsewhere and have real data on it, and you don't want multiple OSDs
> with the same id, but we could make this safer by requiring that the
> OSD be marked 'lost' before it's id can be reused...

Or the OSD should not exist yet? Allowing ceph-disk to re-use a ID and UUID would make it a lot easier when switching from FileStore to BlueStore as well.

ceph-disk --zap-disk -i 0 --uuid XXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX prepare /dev/sda

That way you can wipe a existing disk to BlueStore.

Wido