Re: noout equivalent for temporary OSD rm?

On 9 February 2017 at 00:11, Dan van der Ster <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 12:41 PM, Blair Bethwaite
>> <blair.bethwaite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> ceph osd set nobackfill/norecover/norebalance ?
>>>
>>> It's not something you want to accidentally leave set, but is use
>>> nonetheless - I'm using it right at this moment to load an edited
>>> crushmap and examine the PG remapping impact before actually pulling
>>> the trigger and letting things sort themselves out (if I decide not to
>>> I can always re-inject the previous/current crushmap).
>>
>> Ah ha, of course nobackfill is the one.  I am exposing my lack of
>> experience in actually operating a cluster here :-)
>>

> That said, it might make sense for Ceph to wait a few minutes before
> starting to backfill after any osdmap changes.
> The current behaviour can be a little spastic at times.

Agreed. And the scenario I described above must be very common in
operations, where I suspect more often that not people just make the
change and hope all will be well. It's true crushtool can simulate
mappings, but what I really want to see is the `ceph -s` after the
crush change but before the cluster starts actually acting on it, that
e.g. gives you a chance to see the amount of data that will move and
see if the number of impacted PGs makes sense for the change.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo