From:Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:2017-01-18 08:23:28
Recipient:LIU, Fei <james.liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC:ceph-devel <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:Re: Quota issues of pool
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, LIU, Fei wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> We have tested the quota features of pool, We found we can set up the quota of pool less than existing image size. We can also create a image with quota more than the pool size. Sometime ,we even set up a quota for a image, but we found we can write the data more than the quota we setup for a image. For example, we set up a poor with quota 100M and create a image inside of pool with 200M. but we found we can write more than 100M to the image which is way over 100M.
>
> ceph osd pool set-quota quota max_bytes 100M
> rbd create –s 200M quota/100
> sudo rbd map quota/100
> sudo dd if= /dev/zero of=/dev/rbd0 bs=16k
>
> we in the end wrote 163M into the image.
>
> We are wondering the quota function of the pool did not work from our
> observation. Appreciate for any input?

Unlike a single storage server in which all IO passes through a single
server, Ceph is distributed and can't easily do perfect
quota enforcement. It's a feedback loop, but there is always some
delay:

- osds report pg stats to mon
- mon sees pool usage exceed quota, sets full flag on pool
- new osdmap propagates to osds
- osds block new writes

This is usually not a problem when limits are large, as we generally
expect them to be. (1 PB vs 1.00001 PB written doesn't really matter.)
It doesn't work well on very small pools (e.g., 100 MB), but you generally
don't want such small pools anyway or else you'll need to have millions of
them in a single cluster, and that isn't supported.

sage