Re: Safe maximum number of RADOS namespaces

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Together with a customer we are looking in to writing a application which will store a few PB of data using raw RADOS (librados C) and we are looking into using the RADOS namespaces to separate data.
>
> For each 'section' we want to use a namespace in RADOS, but that would mean we would start off with 30M namespaces and this number might grow to 50M within a few years.
>
> Is the a limitation for RADOS/FileStore/BlueStore for the amount of namespaces it can handle? (In a single pool?)

I don't think we currently track a list of namespaces anywhere, so
there shouldn't be any limit.  The namespace effectively acts a
special prefix to the object name.  This could possibly change if we
ever added per-namespace statistics anywhere though.

John