Waste of free space waste in Firefly.

Guys,

As I understand, ceph can become fully saturated even with some osds
partially free(in terms of disk usage). When some osds become fully
saturated ceph becomes virtually unusuable.
So, it means I need to add more osds even if I still have some space
left. For me it means I'm wasting my disk space. Another option is to
rebalance the cluster, but this process is unpredictable.
Are there any data about the normal percentage of this free disk space
waste in Firefly.
Has the situation gotten better in later versions of ceph: Hammer, Jewel?

Thanks,
Victor.