Re: raw rados listing with seek to marker

On 12/5/16 6:40 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub wrote:

  - what to do with the old object listing api? the code internally
defaults to using it, so if implementing seek only for nobjects it
won't work by default. I'm not sure we want to implement it for the
legacy listing infrastructure.
Hmm... I think we should implement it for the non-"n" variant too (I
don't think it's necessarily legacy; users may be enumerating
within a namespace).

We could immediately stop using the non-"n" variant within the "n" api because backwards compatibility is not required. Now that we are at Jewel or beyond we know all OSDs support the PGNLS protocol. However, as Sage points out if you are enumerating within a namespace there is the overhead of the responses which would contain the same namespace for every object. Finally, we could still deprecate the non-"n" librados api at any time independently of the protocol.

If we retain the PGLS and PGNLS wire protocols for efficiency sake, then a raw seek capability would have to function as the other operations do now and route to the right api/protocol depending on whether all_nspaces is in effect or not.

David