Re: disk enclosure LEDs

Hi,

On 12/01/2016 01:10 AM, John Spray wrote:

> The "what block device am I?" part in the OSD (especially given
> many-to-one relations as you say) is probably harder than the calling
> into libstoragemgmt.  We would probably also need all the LED commands
> to have a flag to optionally target the journal drive instead of the
> data drive.  Where multiple OSDs target the same drive, I don't see
> that as a problem: it's reasonable to have the commands me "blink the
> drive you use" and not "blink a drive and thereby claim you are the
> only thing using it".

I tend to agree to Joao's point that I don't think that the OSD should
be in the business of blinking disk LEDs.

Instead, I would be in favor if it could tell me which disks it actually
uses, which would allow me to pass this device name to any given tool I
choose for blinking the LED on that device.

There was a pull request about this, but I don't think it ever got
merged - http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/3120

Would it make sense to revisit this?

Thanks,

Lenz