Fwd: Ceph PG Number

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zhen Cao <juehuiconst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2016-11-30 17:01 GMT+08:00
Subject: Re: Ceph PG Number
To: Piotr Dałek <branch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks! I understood it.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/jewel/rados/operations/placement-groups/ said

Ideally objects are evenly distributed in each placement group. Since
CRUSH computes the placement group for each object, but does not
actually know how much data is stored in each OSD within this
placement group, the ratio between the number of placement groups and
the number of OSDs may influence the distribution of the data
significantly.

For instance, if there was single a placement group for ten OSDs in a
three replica pool, only three OSD would be used because CRUSH would
have no other choice. When more placement groups are available,
objects are more likely to be evenly spread among them. CRUSH also
makes every effort to evenly spread OSDs among all existing Placement
Groups.

I got it,thanks for your help!