Re: [ceph-users] Introducing DeepSea: A tool for deploying Ceph using Salt

On 11/12/2016 05:30 AM, Bill Sanders wrote:
> I'm curious what the relationship is with python_ceph_cfg[0] and
> DeepSea, which have some overlap in contributors and functionality (and
> supporting organizations?).

DeepSea and python-ceph-cfg look at ceph deployment from two different
perspectives.

python-ceph-cfg is a low-level python library for doing
individual/discrete tasks necessary to deploy ceph.  So, for example, it
has methods for zapping a disk, preparing an OSD, creating a keyring,
etc.  Think of it as operating approximately on a node level (although
you could argue that's an oversimplification, as it includes functions
to check quorum status, create pools, etc., which are really cluster level).

DeepSea is a high-level user-facing tool for orchestrating ceph
deployment with salt.  So DeepSea knows how to install ceph, discover
what disks are on each node, lets you assign different roles to nodes
("these nodes will be MONs, the storage nodes will use all their spare
disks as OSDs", etc.).  Think of it as operating on a cluster level.

Regards,

Tim

tserong@xxxxxxxx