Re: udev remove events to mark OSD down/out on disk-pull

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, David Disseldorp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking at ways to speed up OSD down/out notifications
> for disk-pull events, and was investigating using udev remove events
> for this.
>
> IIUC, the outage currently propagates through to the mons via OSD device
> I/O error -> filestore I/O error ->  ceph-osd ceph_abort() -> heartbeat
> failure.

We just merged (post-jewel) a change that makes connection refused events
trigger an immediate mark-down of the peer OSD.  I think this will have
the same effect, as long as the ceph-osd process is killed in a timely
manner.  Have you tried it?  I'd suggest making sure that it's not
sufficient before investing too much time into a udev-based approach...

See a033dc6f5b4cef357db6f5951062d680e880ba0e

sage