Re: A way to reduce compression overhead

Sage,
please find inline.
On 12.11.2016 2:42, Sage Weil wrote:
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016, Igor Fedotov wrote:

The concern I have here is that it probably won't map well onto EC.  The
primary can't easily have the local ObjectStore chunking things up and
then "pass it to the replica".. there's an intermediate layer between the
replication code and the ObjectStore (and is getting a bit more
sophisticated with the coming EC changes).

I think the simplest approach here would be to keep it simple.  For
example, a min_alloc_size and max compressed chunk size specified for the
pool.  The intermediate layer can apply the EC striping parameters, and
then chunk/compress accordingly.

I agree that worrying about client-side compression seems like a lot at
this stage, but it's going to be the very next thing we ask about, so we
should consider it to make sure we don't put up any major roadblocks.

Either way, though, we should probably wait for the EC overwrite changes
to land...
Got it, thanks. Will start working on POC meanwhile.

As for GC,

I'm curious what you have in mind!  The blob_depth as currently
implemented is not terribly reliable...
General idea is to estimate allocated vs stored ratio for the blob(s) under
the extent being written.
Where stored and allocated are measured in allocation units. And can be
calculated using blobs ref_map.
If that ratio is greater than 1 (+-some correction) - we need to perform GC
for these blobs. Given the fact we do that after compression preprocessing
it's expensive to merge the compressed extent being written and old shards.
Hence that shards are written as standalone extents as opposed to current
implementation when we try to merge both new and existing extents into  a
single entity. Not a big drawback IMHO. Evidently this is valid for new
compressed extents (that are AU aligned) only. Uncompressed ones can be merged
in any fashion.
This is just a draft hence comments are highly appreciated.
Yeah, I think this is a more sensible approach (focusing on allocated vs
referenced).  It seems like the most straightforward thing to do is
actually look at the old_extents in the wctx--since those are the ref_maps
that will become less referenced than before--in order to identify which
blobs might need rewriting.  Avoiding the merge case vastly simplifies it.
That also isn't any persistent metadata that we have to maintain (that
might become incorrect or inconsistent).

We'd probably do the _do_write_data (which will do the various
punch_hole's), then check for any gc work, then do the final
_do_alloc_write and _wctx_finish?

Sounds good. Still need a detailed consistent algorithm though - working on that.