Re: kraken

On Thu, 3 Nov 2016, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-11-01 at 13:20 +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I think we're about ready for a kraken feature freeze.  The main item we
> > were waiting for was the EC overwrites and Sam has a working branch for
> > review this week.  There are still a few odds and ends that I have on my
> > list to get in (like the new CRUSH tunable), but it's a short list.
> >
> > How does next Monday (11/7) sound for an initial freeze?
> >

> I have a PR up that I'd like to see go in that fixes some really slow
> fsync performance in libcephfs:
>
>     https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/11710
>
> The catch here is that it requires a protocol change in MClientCaps, so
> it'd be good to merge that in with the btime/change_attr stuff before
> release. At this point though, I just want to understand whether the
> general approach is sound. Do we want to allow the client to hint to
> the MDS that it should flush its log.

I think so.  The MDS could always ignore it if it wanted to.

Also, the protocol change doesn't need a feature bit since it's only in
the message encoding (new field), so there's no need to tie it with the
other changes.  I commented on the PR how to do that.

> Also, we probably need to think about what to do with the libcephfs API
> overhaul:
>
>     https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/11647
>
> That will rev the libcephfs version to "2", and break the API. I have
> the ganesha and samba patches done.
>
> Do we want that in kraken, or should it wait for luminous?

I can go either way.  Slight preference for kraken.  Is it ready?

sage