OSD bug - can fill up cluster to 100%

We have a report that, due to an OSD bug, it is possible to fill a cluster (using "rados bench write") to the point that some OSDs reach 100% full.

The issue is http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/16878

The report came from a cluster that had 24 OSDs, each 1 TB in size and with an 87 GB journal on an external partition.

I tried to reproduce this on a much smaller cluster (2 OSDs, 10 GB data partition, 1 GB journal partition) using teuthology-openstack. I was able to reliably fill this cluster to 98% (past the 95% FULL mark) when I constructed the journal partitions so they do not end on 2048-sector boundary.

(When the journals are "evenly sized", the cluster fills up to 95% and usage does not rise further.)

I would be grateful if someone who is much more familiar with the OSD code than I am (and that is not a difficult criterion to meet!) could look at the bug report - I have posted logs and a detailed analysis.

Thanks for your time!

--
Nathan Cutler
Software Engineer Distributed Storage