Re: async messenger random read performance on NVMe

On 09/28/2016 04:37 AM, Haomai Wang wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Ma, Jianpeng <jianpeng.ma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Using jemalloc
                        4K RR                     4K RW
    Async       605077                  134241
    Simple      640892                 134583
Using jemalloc, the trend for 4K like Mark, simple is better than async.

Using tcmalloc(version 4.1.2)
                                4K RW             4KRR
          Async            144450           612716
          Simple          111187           414672

Why tcmalloc/jemalloc cause so much performance for simple? But not for async?

This is a old topic.. more thread cache will help for pipe's thread.
So it will increase lots of memory. In short, give more memory space
get more performance.

It is an old topic, but I think it's good to get further confirmation that simple is still faster for small random reads when jemalloc is used (and presumably would be as well if tcmalloc was used with a high thread cache setting). I'm chasing some performance issues in the new encode/decode work, but after that I can hopefully dig in a little more and try to track it down.

Mark

Jianpeng