Re: OSD journal sizing

> Op 22 september 2016 om 22:02 schreef Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx>:
>

> I've been researching OSD journals lately, and just realized something
> that's not particularly nice.
>
> SSDs are getting bigger and bigger. It's typical for customers to use
> e.g. a 500GB SSD for their journals. If the OSDs themselves are on
> spinners, there is no use in having journals bigger than 10GB because
> the 7200 RPMs impose a hard ceiling on throughput that spinners can achieve.
>
> Now, SSDs need wear-leveling to avoid premature failure. If only a small
> region of the SSD is partitioned/used, users may fear (regardless of the
> reality, whatever it may be) that this small region will be "pummeled to
> death" by Ceph and cause the expensive SSD to fail prematurely.

You are making the wrong assumption here. If you take a brand-new SSD which has never been written to and you create just a few small 10GB partitions the SSD's controller will know that all other cells are still unused.

Using wear-leveling it will reallocate cells internally. You will not be hammering the same cells over and over.

Bigger SSDs simply have a longer lifespan.

You can use just a fraction of the disk by using partitions, or use hdparm to set HPA (Host Protected Area) where you "shrink" the SSD.

The SSD will present itself as a 50GB SSD for example while it is a 500GB SSD.

Using hdparm you can also reset a SSD by telling it to reset ALL it's cells back to zero. That way the wear-leveling is also reset.

Fyi, this information mainly comes from working with Intel DC SSDs.

Wido