Re: Are we ready to move from Trusty to Xenial in the lab?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:35 AM, Gregory Meno <gmeno@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello readers,
>
> I am aware that our nightly tests are running on centos7 and trusty in
> the sepia lab. xenial has been the lastest LTS release of Ubuntu for
> some time now. It seems like we should move the nightly testing on to
> xenial
>
> Here are some benefits to moving the nightlies up to xenial:
>
> * Quicker feedback of issues before we release
> * Easier access to reproduce issues that are reported after release
> * provide an easy way to judge readiness for a Python3 world
>
> Some things that might prevent us from going there this week.
>
> * we should wait till we have a mechanism to re-image bare metal lab
> machines on the fly before each test (edeploy --
> https://github.com/redhat-cip/edeploy)

Last discussion I remember about this, waiting for edeploy was the
plan, so that there was no big-bang decision to make (runs could be
scheduled on xenial or trusty at will).  Why are we talking about
persistently switching machines to Xenial sooner?

> * python3 isn't quite ready and we'll feel a lot of pain in the short term

I would rephrase that as "folks interested in running tests on Xenial
will need to stabilise the python 3 part first", rather than
entertaining it as a possibly-acceptable side effect of moving
unrelated test suites over to a different distro.

John