Re: new boost

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now that we've transitioned to cmake, I'd like to resurrect the discussion
> about moving to a new version of boost.  I'm dying to use small_vector and
> flat_map.
>
> IIRC, we have a few options:
>
> 1) boost as a submodule.  compile and link statically.
>  - easy to maintain
>  - no packaging impact
>  - dev/build environment is not dependent on system install boost

The end-to-end build time is going to get even longer, and there is a
maintenance cost when we stop paying that tech debt a little bit at a
time when the distros release new boost packages. GitHub says Ceph's
civetweb is "This branch is 26 commits ahead, 1551 commits behind
civetweb:master". How do we keep that same thing from happening over
the years with a bundled boost?

Can we have a middle ground, where we use an up-to-date bundled
version of boost on distros without the features you want, and then
use the system boost if it's new enough (ie Fedora and presumably
Xenial or Yakkety)?

- Ken