Re: new boost

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 06:42:47PM +0000, Sage Weil wrote:
> Now that we've transitioned to cmake, I'd like to resurrect the discussion
> about moving to a new version of boost.  I'm dying to use small_vector and
> flat_map.
>
> IIRC, we have a few options:
As a distribution packager for a very long time, I'm firmly in the #4 camp, but
worry about the bugs present in system Boost...

As an example of those bugs, and a useful data point on how other major
projects are handling similar issues with Boost, there was an email that
crossed my inbox this morning, as I used to lead Gentoo's MySQL team. MySQL 5.7
uses the Boost geometry code.  MySQL builds were failing the testsuite with
newer boost releases, which lead to bugs and this email we got from the Oracle
MySQL packaging people.

Relevant excerpts below:

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer