Re: bluestore blobs REVISITED

On 08/23/2016 11:02 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
I just got the onode, including the full lextent map, down to ~1500 bytes.
The lextent map encoding optimizations went something like this:

- 1 blobid bit to indicate that this lextent starts where the last one
ended. (6500->5500)

- 1 blobid bit to indicate offset is 0; 1 blobid bit to indicate length is
same as previous lextent.  (5500->3500)

- make blobid signed (1 bit) and delta encode relative to previous blob.
(3500->1500).  In practice we'd get something between 1500 and 3500
because blobids won't have as much temporal locality as my test workload.
OTOH, this is really important because blobids will also get big over time
(we don't (yet?) have a way to reuse blobids and/or keep them unique to a
hash key, so they grow as the osd ages).

https://github.com/liewegas/ceph/blob/wip-bluestore-blobwise/src/os/bluestore/bluestore_types.cc#L826

This makes the metadata update for a 4k write look like

  1500 byte onode update
  20 byte blob update
  182 byte + 847(*) byte omap updates (pg log)

  * pg _info key... def some room for optimization here I think!

In any case, this is pretty encouraging.  I think we have a few options:

1) keep extent map in onode and (re)encode fully each time (what I have
now).  blobs live in their own keys.

2) keep extent map in onode but shard it in memory and only reencode the
part(s) that get modified.  this will alleviate the cpu concerns around a
more complex encoding.  no change to on-disk format.

3) join lextents and blobs (Allen's proposal) and dynamically bin based on
the encoded size.

4) #3, but let shard_size=0 in onode (or whatever) put it inline with
onode, so that simple objects avoid any additional kv op.

I currently like #2 for its simplicity, but I suspect we'll need to try
#3/#4 too.

I was gravitating toward #2 right before I read the above line fwiw. I think the idea to try 3/4 is a good one though. There's enough complexity in all of this that I think we're (at some level) just guessing until we actually have some rocksdb and perf data to look at regarding actual IO activity and CPU usage.

Mark

sage