What to do with python-ceph-compat?

In the hammer release, the python-ceph package was split into three separate packages: python-rados, python-rbd, python-cephfs [1]. In rpm, a "python-ceph-compat" metapackage was introduced for backwards compatibility (with Provides: python-ceph), while in deb the python-ceph package was converted into a metapackage.

Now, in PR#9757 [2] we are exploring the possibility of dropping python-ceph-compat entirely, since we don't want to have it hanging around forever.

In preparation for this, a teuthology commit was merged [3] to modify the default package list (replacing "python-ceph" with the three post-split packages). This had the unintended consequence of breaking tests that start by installing firefly and then later upgrade to a more recent version (there are a number of these). This bug is tracked in [4].

I'm hereby seeking opinions on how to address this.

One way would be to override the package list in those tests, so it doesn't include any "python-*" packages at all. This would work provided none of those tests actually need to use the python bindings (?).

Another possibility is to override the default package list for those tests, replacing "python-{rados,rbd,cephfs}" with "python-ceph". That will enable firefly/dumpling installation to succeed, but I'm worried that at least those tests that upgrade to master (kraken+) would fail in the cleanup phase because it would be impossible to remove "python-ceph".

A third possibility would be to modify teuthology to make it aware of package splits, and enable it to automatically override the package list as needed.

Finally, we could just keep the "python-ceph" (deb) and "python-ceph-compat" (rpm) packages "forever", i.e. for as long as we have tests that start by installing pre-hammer versions.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3788
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/9757
[3] https://github.com/ceph/teuthology/commit/4543fb64
[4] http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/17075