Re: CephFS and Samba hang on copy of large file

> Op 16 augustus 2016 om 12:48 schreef Ira Cooper <ira@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Sendfile doesn't make much sense with a userspace filesystem like vfs_ceph.
> >>

> > True, but it was still in the config. Had to debug that.
> >
> >> You said performance improved, how much?
> >>

> > We went from 50MB/sec to 150 ~ 200MB/sec write speed.
> >
> > Writing directly to CephFS (kernel) goes with 900MB/sec.
> >
> >> Also are you using copy, robocopy, the windows explorer?  And which
> >> version of Windows?
> >>

> > A wide range of Operating Systems. In this case it was a Ubuntu 16.04 desktop, but the clients are also Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10. Just using the Explorer in Windows's case.
>
> Were you talking read or write performance before?

All write performance. We don't care that much about read in this environment.

> Also any chance you could run these tests from a Windows 7+ machine?
>
> I know it is an odd request on a Linux list, but for debugging Samba,
> it helps at times.

I'm currently not at that customer, so I'm not able to run the test. I also don't have remote access.

The hang we saw was from a Windows 7 desktop btw, not the Ubuntu one. We just used the Ubuntu desktop to see if it also happened there.

Wido