Re: Pool creation fails: 'failed run crushtool: fork failed: (12) Cannot allocate memory'

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Brad Hubbard <bhubbard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So it seems this monitor ran into LimitNPROC since the open files are so low that it probably didn't run into that limit.
>
> I suspect we are missing something here. It seems unlikely to me that you are
> hitting such a high process limit and, if you were, I would suggest the error
> returned would be something other than ENOMEM. I admit that the evidence

fork(2) sets errno to EAGAIN if

> A system-imposed limit on the number of threads was encountered.  There are a number of limits that may trigger this error: the RLIMIT_NPROC soft resource  limit (set  via  setrlimit(2)),  which limits the number of processes and threads for a real user ID, was reached; the kernel's system-wide limit on the number of processes and threads, /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max, was reached (see proc(5)); or the maximum number of PIDs, /proc/sys/kernel/pid_max, was reached (see proc(5)).

which (partly) matches with what we found in case. the conflict fast
is that we didn't have EAGAIN in the error message. that's
interesting... so the root cause of this failure is still unknown.

> so far appears to indicate that this limit is somehow involved but I'm
> suspicious that it is not the entire story here and there is more to be
> learned.
>

>> Wido
>>
>> > HTH,
>> > Brad