Re: CephFS Samba VFS RHEL packages

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 08:29:39AM +1100, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> Ken, Ira, John -
>
> Thanks a lot for the replies. Our initial setup is simply running
> samba atop a cephfs kernel mount, and initial cursory checks seem to
> show the basics are working as expected (even clustered with ctdb -
> what are your concerns here Ira?). Though we've yet to try any of our
> planned test scenarios/datasets.
>
> From the conversation here I'm thinking we'd be better off using
> Xenial for our CephFS+Samba test nodes at the moment... though I only
> see packages for Precise and Trusty on gitbuilder.ceph.com at the
> moment. We were planning to compare samba on kernel mount versus ceph
> vfs.
>
> Can someone clarify what state the cephfs kernel client in RHEL 7.x
> will be in when RHCS 2.0 is released, i.e., will that be back-ported
> or are RHEL users expected to use FUSE? (I'm happy to go ask support
> directly but I suspect this is useful information for others too).

Please note: icooper@xxxxxxxxxx is not on this list, so I can't
reply from there ;).

I recommend you test your setup THROUGHLY.  CTDB is really in
place to handle failures, so test node failures.  I recommend
hard power-offs for this.  The real world is rarely as kind
as a "nice" poweroff, and it might trick you into thinking
more is working than is.

If you get it right, all the nodes should end up banned if I
remember right.  It's been a bit since I tested with stock
settings.

For my setup I use:

FUSE for the mount so CTDB works.
vfs_ceph for the Samba datapath.

That's what I'd recommend based on talking to people.

No idea on RHCS/Kernel.

Cheers,

-Ira