Re: getting more updates in rocksdb

On 07/20/2016 06:52 AM, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
On 20-7-2016 15:32, Gregory Farnum wrote:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I submitted a small patch to rocksdb for FreeBSD
https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb/commit/b726bf59619d43651838e03cce9f876b3560cbda

And was hopping that it would be tracked by my Ceph stuff as well.
But refetching things, it does not seem to be in the tree ceph cmake
fetches.

And I'm not fluent enough in git to actually check if my current
checkout with hash: 5647fa427c4eab87c0caf8bcbb91f5846a4623f9
should contain the above commit.

Use "git log" on both trees and search for the hashes? :)

Anyway, the Ceph submodule does not auto-update (git submodules don't
support that AFAIK). You can go into the rocksdb folder and try
checking out the latest upstream master, then committing the new hash
as a commit in the Ceph git repo (at least, once your commit is
merged; not sure if it is yet).

Although I (sort of) understand what you are saying, I'm not able to
reproduce the actual commands to do this. Comparing the logs I
understand. First just have to clone rocksdb.

And as far as I know the commit I'm looking for is in the current
rocksdb tree. I got commit about 22 days ago, and the current hash seems
te be from just a bit before that.

To clarify, to update the rocksdb submodule, you'd need to first update
the ceph fork. (cat .gitmodules shows src/rocksdb comes from
https://github.com/ceph/rocksdb).

You can make a PR to ceph/rocksdb with the latest upstream code from
within your submodule checkout (src/rocksdb) which functions like a
normal git repo itself. You could e.g. 'git pull https://github.com/facebook/rocksdb' to get the latest code there.

Then once that's merged into ceph/rocksdb, make a PR to ceph (from the
root of your ceph checkout 'git commit src/rocksdb' will update the
sha1 the rocksdb submodule references).

Josh