RE: bluestore onode diet and encoding overhead

BTW, I see this stuff as gradually replacing the existing encode/decode infrastructure. It's pretty easy to have them side-by-side as well as have the new infrastructure be wire-compatible with the current stuff. That'll allow a slow conversion from the old-style to the new-style.  The only that's really different between the two (on the wire) is that I proposed the new stuff to have a length prefix so that the decoder knows how much data to "straighten" before launching the fast decode (this is the equivalent of the ESTIMATE phase during encode). For old-style stuff that doesn't have the prefix, you'll have to "straighten" the entire remainder of the buffer -- this may limit the rate of conversion (in that you can only afford to covert code to the new style when you know that the overhead of straightening is affordable -- probably because you know that there's not much data present OR you assume that you're in a temporary transient environment.

Allen Samuels
SanDisk |a Western Digital brand
2880 Junction Avenue, San Jose, CA 95134
T: +1 408 801 7030| M: +1 408 780 6416
allen.samuels@xxxxxxxxxxx