Re: A Transformation of our Global Context

On 06/10/2016 09:53 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, Adam C. Emerson wrote:
On 10/06/2016, Sage Weil wrote:
FWIW the time thing is a bit of a red herring.  The only reason time takes
cct is for the configuration clock skew.  That was added for debugging
purposes but has never (to my knowledge) been used.  I'd be happy to rip
it out.

I wasn't aware of that. I'd asked once if the clock skew debug option
was really important (back with the original time patch) and was told
it was. The person I was talking to might have thought I was talking
about monitor clock skew or something.

Ah, there is *one* teuthology test that sets this:

$ git grep clock\ offset | cat
suites/rados/multimon/tasks/mon_clock_with_skews.yaml:        clock offset: 10

I'd be quite happy to drop this test, or kludge around it some other way
(e.g., put a mon on a different host and change the system time), if it
saves us as much code churn as I suspect it will...

i've been hacking a mon debug interface via the ceph tool to test features and do all sorts of nasty things (provided a given experimental feature is enabled and the user is really, really sure about it), and I think we could then use it to test clock skews just as well. It'd be a matter of telling a given monitor to just skew the response to the leader during the timecheck round.

  -Joao